By: Joya Faruque – Behavioral Sciences and Health Education
Welcome to Rollins! I remember the excitement and anticipation of the Fall semester! Here are 5 ways that I recommend as you prepare for graduate school.
1) ENJOY YOUR SUMMER!
○ Before the semester starts, it’s important to take some time for yourself! You are about to embark on a new journey, so it is important to use your summer to prioritize relaxation and restorative time. Don’t stress about graduate school before the semester starts!
2) Identify your Goals:
○ Before school starts, it’s important to consider your goals. Once the school year starts, there is so much to do and so much to learn! Graduate school is “a lot” and it’s important to start with goals to keep you grounded and focused and avoid feeling overwhelmed.
○ What are your health goals?
○ What are your career goals?
○ What are your academic goals?
○ What are your personal self-development goals?
3) Get Excited!
○ You’re about to open a new chapter of your life! During your time at Rollins, you will grow so much!
○ Here are 5 things you are guaranteed to gain during your time here!
i) Growing professionally
ii) Developing your skills
iii) Making friends and connections you will treasure for the rest of your life!
iv) Professional career services for the rest of your life
v) Memories that you will treasure forever!
4) Get Plugged In to Career Development Services
○ Before your first day of the semester, you will get access to a few resources to
start applying for internships and jobs. Use them! https://www.sph.emory.edu/prospective_students/admitted_students/careers/in
○ Utilize the online webinars, cover letter resource guide, resume resource guide,
and list of helpful websites to increase your professionalism.
5) Stay Connected
○ Visit the admitted students portal: https://www.sph.emory.edu/Prospective_students/admitted_students/checklist/admited-checklist/action-items.php
○ After you set up your student accounts, make sure you check your email regularly to stay updated on your next action steps!
○ Connect with other incoming students with the Class of 2022 facebook page