By: Tyla Adams – Behavioral Sciences & Health Education
Marie Kondo is a tidying expert who helps people around the world transform cluttered spaces through a method that encourages one to keep only those things that speak to the heart, and discard items that no longer spark joy. A new wave of popularity was brought to Marie with the premier of her show on Netflix, “Tidying Up with Marie Kondo”. So how can Marie Kondo help you during graduate school?
Though these two, short years can have its stressful times, that doesn’t mean you have to be unhappy. The KonMari Method encourages tidying up by category and being mindful of what you keep and allow in your space. Some categories that can be applied to graduate school are:
- Embrace the required courses (semesters fly by and we have great faculty that make the content manageable and even fun!) and after the semester thank the course for its service in helping you get one step closer to your degree
- Look into the many departments and certificate programs that Rollins offers! These help you to take the classes that can truly spark joy because they align with your interests
- Additionally, Rollins allows you to take classes outside of the school of public health, so it could be fun to look into possible classes offered at the other 6 graduate schools
- While you may have spent thousands on books throughout your educational career, how many have actually brought you joy since you became their owner? Think about the textbooks that will be beneficial to you later in your career and thank the others for the knowledge they brought to you, then decide if you want to donate or sell them!
- Your support system is one of the most important things to have on this journey to obtaining your MPH. These individuals will be there to celebrate your accomplishments, along with uplifting you during your roughest times. However, even though you may have known some of these individuals for years, friends can grow apart. If you find yourself in the position that a friend no longer ‘sparks joy’ in your life, you may want to cherish the memories made, thank them for the time and love they have shown you, and end the friendship (easier said than done!). Letting go of friends is hard, but your happiness and peace is something you should always cherish.
Ultimately, this method places great importance on being mindful, introspective and forward-looking. So how might you use the KonMari Method in other categories within your life? Why do you want these aspects in your life? An do they spark joy? Remember less clutter helps to increase focus, and with an increase in productivity you’ll be able to knock out that assignment and go do something non-school related that also sparks joy!! “Tidy your space, transform your life.”
All images came from konmari.com and its affiliate social media handles